Friday, July 3, 2009

What I believe (Happy Birthday America)

It's a new week, and still the amazing amount of change continues to roll right on down the Progressive path. I love America, like I'm sure you do. I'm the kind of guy who tears up during the National Anthem, especially when the fans yell "STILL THERE"! I always get to the game in time for the flyover, and it's the highlight of my week to see those jets coming in over the stadium. I'm teaching my son now to thank those he sees in uniform, because keeping my family safe is the greatest gift they could ever give me.
A lot of people feel the same way I do, but what do they BELIEVE in? I can't answer for anyone else, but I can tell you what I believe in.
I believe in our Constitution and that it is not a "living" document. I've read enough of the Founding Fathers to know that they were afraid of a strong central government, and wanted this country to succeed because of the people, not the politicians. When the Constitution says General Welfare, I believe that means no man should be favored over another, poor over rich, strong over weak.
The equal playing field of our country is that we all have 3 basic rights; Life, Liberty and Property (read the 5000 Year Leap and you will see why "pursuit of happiness" was a compromise). That means the Government doesn't need to run my everyday life, right down to how many volts I use, or how much gas I consume, or what type of car I drive.
I believe that you have a right to your religion, and I have a right to mine. I've never tried to "push" my Christianity on anyone, but if you'd like to talk about it I'm open. The problem is, your religion does not trump mine either. The truth is, this country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, but it is not a theocracy like Iran. At the same time, stop trying to get rid of the wonderful history of our nation by erasing any reference to God. You can believe in a hundred gods or none at all, but you do not have the right not to be offended. If having "In God We Trust" on the dollar is an issue for you - feel free to leave, or just keep it to yourself.
I believe that if you bust your ass to make a dollar, you should be able to choose how you spend it. And regardless of what people say, there needs to be a single tax rate for everyone. 20% of $1,000,000 is still one hell of a lot more than 20% of $10,000. The term "Fair Share" in America means punish the rich and make them the enemy. I seriously hope to be one of the rich one day, and I don't want to be the enemy. You cannot build up the bottom by taking from the top. all you do is kill jobs and create social divisions. The truth is, you can't really hurt the "super rich" anyway. It's those who have the opportunity to jump up into a better lifestyle who get killed. Those are the people who start companies, create jobs, and give us paychecks each week. Sorry, but the more you demonize them the less they are going to invest, which is occurring right now.
I believe we have a right to ask our politicians to be better than we are, just like we should ask of our priests, teachers, judges and policemen. Problem is we dismiss their failings and we let their rot influence and become our own. If you are a politician caught in a scandal - get out. Personally, I'd never run for office because I can see the temptations that exist, and I don't trust myself to overcome them. I will look for and support any men who are better than I am.
Jeeez, that takes us to the parties. Whether you call yourself a Republican or Democrat, you need to clean the hypocrisy out NOW. Republicans, you dug your own grave. You cannot run on ethics and smaller Government and then become the exact opposite you of what you promised. I'm sorry I had to leave the party, but if you are going to act like progressives I will not be voting for you. If you say you are for family values and cheat on your wife, get out. If you even hint of putting your leg into another bathroom stall - I'll kick your ass myself.
Democrats, wow I guess it really is a case of loving power too much. Last year all I heard was that Bush was spending too much. Now Obama goes in way over the top and all I hear is chirping crickets. Nancy Pelosi accuses your CIA of lying and committing Federal offenses and once again - it's OK. Take the beam out of your own eye before pointing out the splinter in someone elses. I'm willing to give someone on either side a chance, but it's very limited when it comes to politicians.
TERM LIMITS - this is a must in our day and age. There are people have been in the same elected office longer than I have been alive. Our country was not designed this way. We now have a "ruling class". Think I'm wrong - don't kid yourself. Clintons, Kennedys, Bushs and Gores. We have, what, over 300,000,000 people out there, and the best we can do are these people??? The same people run over and over again. The same people lie to you over and over again.
Let's end the bills that run 1,300 pages and get back to common sense law. The honest truth is, politicians can't run their own bank, but we expect them to run health care, or keep our taxes low???? If just once, everyone voted against the incumbent, it would send a serious message, and put fear back into the political class - fear of the citizens!
I believe that we as American have become arrogant. We think that the government can fix our problems. NOT POSSIBLE - they can't avoid crapping where they eat, how can they take care of you. American Idol is now more important than election day. There isn't much else to say about that.
I am pro life, but I believe it should be a states rights issue. If Massachusetts wants to be a pro abortion state, so be it, it is on them. I've really become a states rights guy. If Colorado wants legal marijuana, so be it - I won't smoke it still, and it can't be much easier to get than it is now. Here's the thing, let us VOTE on issues.
I believe there was global warming into the 90's - there had to be since the "consensus" of scientists concluded we were headed for an ice age in the 70's. I still remember the cover of Time magazine. I just do not believe WE can "fix" it. If you use some common sense you will realize why the Enviro movement had to switch from Global Warming to "Climate Change". The planet isn't getting hotter anymore. One thing constant about the weather is change. Heck, Colorado was at one point in the past a deciduous rain forest - I've seen the fossils. Change is about all they can guarantee - more hubris I guess.
I believe there are very few people in this country who I would not enjoy having a beer, playing golf, hunting or playing basketball with. I tell you right now - Obama would never get a shot off against me - I don't care if the Secret Service was right in my grill. That doesn't mean even the two of us who are totally opposed in beliefs couldn't get along.
I do think that the people in POWER - politicians, corporate CEOs of monster companies and professors in their ivory towers do think that we are all stupid. No matter where you fall on the political spectrum, you are either a useful tool, or an idiot to these people because all they want is power.
I don't want power over anyone. Your success does not mean I fail, your loss is something I should sympathize with, but it is not my responsibility unless I choose to make it so. There is nothing our Government can do better than the private sector, as long as we the consumer use some common sense.
I'd like to believe that our brightest days are ahead, but I see too many smart people playing the game they want you to play, and going after their friends and neighbors as the enemy.
"The Government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson.
That's what I believe.
Happy Birthday America. Thank you Founding Fathers. May we have many, many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment